Emergency Rental Assistance Program
Have you been financially impacted during the COVID-19 pandemic or facing a financial hardship that may have occurred during the COVID Public Health Emergency?
Do you need help with rent and utilities?
(Please note, this program is only for renters)
(Landlords may apply on behalf of their tenants, however we will still need documentation from tenants)
The Cameron and Elk Counties Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) through Northern Tier Community Action helps eligible renter households in these counties, who have been financially impacted during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Renter households must have an income no more than 80 percent of area median income (AMI) (listed below)
One or more members of the household must attest in writing that they have either qualified for any of the following:
- Unemployment Benefits
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Medicaid or Medical Assistance (MA)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Experienced any of the following due to or during the pandemic:
- Reduction in income
- Incurred significant costs
- Other financial hardship
One or more individuals within the household must demonstrate they are at risk of housing instability.
If you have questions or think you qualify, please visit www.COMPASS.state.pa.us to apply or use the “Contact Us” form below.
Please upload the following Application Materials to your COMPASS Application, or send with your paper application.
TO APPLY FOR ERAP, CLIENTS MUST PROVIDE BASIC INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTATION TO VERIFY IDENTITY AND ELIGIBILITY.
Clients must prepared to show a few documents to verify eligibility, including:
- Proof of identity
- Lease agreement
- Proof of lost employment or income such as an unemployment qualification or benefits or pay statements
- Proof of income for anyone in the household over age 18. This can include paystubs, W-2s, tax filings, unemployment qualification or benefits, etc.
- Proof of monthly rent or arrears owed
- Proof of utility costs or arrears owed
- Proof of other housing costs incurred due to COVID-19
Basic information such as:
- Name, address, contact information, and the number of people in their household
- Landlord or property manager’s name and contact information
- Utility provider’s information and your account numbers
- Income information for the applicant and anyone else in the household who has an income.
- Know source(s) of that income, such as wages from a job, unemployment, pensions, Social Security/SSI, etc.
- Monthly household expenses and how much is owed, if they have arrears
- Photocopies, digital photographs of documents, and emails or attestations from an employer, landlord, or utility provider are accepted. If applying through COMPASS, these documents can be uploaded directly with the application. If income documents are not available, our staff can work with you to sign a written statement.
ERAP Determination Appeal
What is an ERAP determination?
An ERAP determination is our decision on the application for
ERAP assistance filed by a tenant and/or the landlord/owner. If
you disagree with any part of the decision, you can file an
Appeal. If we made a mistake, we will correct it.
Note: An ERAP determination is an approval or denial of the
ERAP application. A “provisional approval” and a “180-day
notice” are notices you might receive but they are not ERAP
Who can Appeal?
Both Tenants and Landlords/Owners can appeal.
For more information click here: ERAP Determination Appeal Form
2022 Income Guidelines (80%)
Here are some interesting links for you!
Northern Tier Community Action Corporation
135 W. 4th St.
P.O. Box 389
Emporium, PA 15834
Mo-Fr: 8:00am – 4:00pm
*Closed to visitors until further notice, please call and we will help*